I've come to realize that I don't use the internet for much except a giant card catalog of stuff I'm looking for or wanting to know about. Pure information research or game playing. I know a lot of people are really into the Interwebs and everything they can do on it.
I suppose I don't approach it from that angle. When I get online I'm either just randomly browsing for utter and complete shit OR I'm after specific information and I'm not screwing with needless distractions. That's really how I tend to view almost everything on the Internet...it's a distraction, even the shit I create and put out there. Or on here. But using it as a means of meeting new people...not so much. It's not that I don't want to do that, I just not all that comfortable talking to strangers I can't see.
The web is a fantastic means of keeping up with long distance friends; I love it for that alone. I have several friends that I haven't seen in 5 years, but I exchange emails and IM's with them regularly. It's the best way to stay in someone's life without worrying about restraining orders and general creepiness.
Maybe I should look into making friends via online means. The question is...what's the best way to meet strangers without feeling creepy? Anyone? Anyone?
1 comment:
Meeting people online, despite what anyone says, is HARD. I've done it a few times and I've gotten lucky and Im sure that was through pure fate and not anything on my part or theirs. I couldn't imagine actively trying to find a date online because real life conversation is hard enough as it is--imagine sitting on the other side of the screen waiting for an answer? Read also: cricket sounds. Anyway I think you are absolutely utilizing the internet to it's fullest potential in that which you speak of and frankly--you should keep it that way.
Post a Comment