Sep 23, 2008

In which I share too much

I have a very unusual physiology...approximately every 3-4 months I have two periods. There is nothing wrong with me, medically; it's been this way my entire life. I used to freak out about it but then I saw a documentary that stated that Nigerian women often have two menstrual cycles in every few months. Even more interesting fact: Nigeria has the highest number of fraternal twins in the world. Gee I wonder why?

Now, I've had my period since I was 10 but I've only really started noticing this unfortunate trend in multiplicity about 7 or 8 years ago. Most of the time it's inconvenient but some months it's just fucking annoying. I never know which months it's going to happen or when it's going to happen, but one day I'll wake up exhausted (barely able to get out of bed or stay awake), irritable, and with extremely achy knees and ankles. If I could predict when this extra period was coming, I'd be happier or at least sufficiently forewarned to anticipate the inconvenience.

It also scares the shit out of me considering that I'd like to have a kid next year and twins would be wildly inconvenient. Neat, but inconvenient. I'm barely able to afford one kid next year, but two would totally blow my mind. And my budget. And my planning. But twins run in my family, mostly on the male side but with this whole 2-fer-1 thing going on I'm guessing that my chances for multiple births are pretty damn high. Worrisome, to say the least.

So now I gotta worry that some ancestral genetic code is gonna bite me in the ass one day. Ah, Mother Africa, thanks for priming the pump in favor of my unique genetic code.

No comments: