Nov 2, 2007

Thinking Pink

My mentor at work was diagnosed with breast cancer in August.

It's weird but I've never known anyone with breast cancer. My great-grandmother had stomach cancer (and an iron will), my grandfather had brain tumors, and colon cancer took my uncle Robert before he turned 60 - so I'm no stranger to cancer. But breast cancer is new to me; I find myself unable to think of anything to say and kind of awkwardly hoping she's going to be okay.

I've never really given a lot of thought to breast cancer and/or the organizations searching to find a cure but now I notice the pink ribbons, etc. everywhere and I find myself thinking about ways to donate and/or benefit the research.

Why is it that people only become interested in areas like breast cancer research when they know someone personally going through the disease? Or is that just me?

No comments: