A colleague sent me this article: http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/
Excellent article. I have to say that many times even being black doesn't guarantee that connection that teachers often need to make. I know nothing of gang violence and almost nothing of going hungry and/or being afraid; I certainly can't speak to any idea of a "limited" future. I was told since age 6 that I was smart and therefore going to college. Every black experience is different and people tend to either forget or ignore that fact in favor of broad generalizations.
I can understand the writer's feelings, how do you teach any aspect of black history when you're a white teacher in a black classroom. But by the same token, how do you teach black history if you're a black teacher in a white classroom? In both scenarios someone is going to feel victimized and/or uncomfortable. There's no comfortable way to address racism in this country, particularly when no one wants to have that unpleasant conversation in the first place. It's a very delicate discussion to try to have in any case.
I suppose you do the best you can and hope the rest turns out all right.
No comments:
Post a Comment