Jul 1, 2011

Moving stress = high blood sugar

My blood sugars have been out of control lately. I say lately, but what I really mean is the last 2-3 months. Had to go to the doctor for my diabetic check-up and to get my blood work done. They called today with the results: my A1c is 8.8. Anything above 7.0 is acceptable; above 7.5 freaks me out; above 8.0 = OUT OF CONTROL!

I admit to being a little...shall we say 'lax' with my meds but I've not been that high since I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic in 1998.

The nurse asked if I was stressed and said that stress will drive up blood glucose. So hopefully once the move is completed and school starts, my glucose levels will fall back down to normal. Meanwhile, I'll have to take my meds and be careful with what I eat. Maybe I'll even add some exercise to the mix.

No comments: