I'm moving to Dallas to start a doctoral program in Humanities at UT Dallas. It wasn't my first choice of school or programs but I like the campus and, well, UPenn turned my sorry ass down. Funny, I always thought I'd get a PhD in English or Literature but when I really gave it some thought, the program at UTD is a great fit. Since it's in Humanities, they require a broad range of class work: art, history, and literature, which considering the topic I'd like to pursue for research is actually quite an appropriate range for use.
My topic for research is racial politics and the media. Sprecifically, I'll be searching for an answer to the questions of whether the media is reinforcing old stereotypes, participating in the creation of new stereotypes, or a combination of both, as well as how do these racial reinforcements show themselves across the various media formats. Currently I'm kinda locked on TV and the news media (print and visual formats). It's funny what you start to see when you're focused on looking for it. More on this later.
For all this to happen, I have to relocate from Austin to Dallas. I hate moving. I hate sorting through and packing all my possessions. Add to that the fact that I didn't have any furniture and needed to furnish basically a two-bedroom apartment and move all that crap 200 miles north of where I currently am and I think you can start to see why I find moving to be so sucktastic.
In better news, one of my sister's girls is gonna come live with me (for as long as that lasts) and I'm kinda excited about it. I'm looking forward to visiting colleges with her and sharing the things I think are interesting with her. It'll be an interesting year for both of us, I'm sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment