What did I do?
- Moved 5 times: San Diego (2000-01); back to Austin (2001-02); Houston (2003-05); Austin (2005-now);
- Law school for a brief year and a half;
- Grad school: earned a Master's degree in Literature;
- Began teaching 8th grade English.
- Denver, CO
- Utah - remind me to tell you about trying to outrun a blizzard and driving only 20 mph across most of the freaking state
- Las Vegas, NV
- San Diego, CA
- Tijuana, Mexico
- San Francisco, CA
- Los Angeles, CA
- New Orleans, LA
- Lexington, KY
- Baltimore, MD
- New York City, NY - 3 times!!
- New Haven, CT
- Virginia Beach, VA
- Seattle, WA
- Memphis, TN
- random parts of Kentucky
- all over the Texas Hill Country
- London, England
- Paris, France
Plans for 2010?
There are several ideas on the table for what to do with this year; as much as I like to plan, I'm not crazy enough to plan the whole decade. This past decade did teach me that randomness is a major part of my life and there's no getting around it.
So here's what I've set in motion for 2010, much depends on the outcome of #1
- Doctoral program in Literature at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, or
- teach in UK, or
- move to NYC, or
- move to Philadelphia anyway.
And NYC, well, that's a huge, huge move to make considering the cost of living and how crowded it is. But it's fantastic there, okay, so it's a little uriny during the summer and it snows and is very cold during winter, but it's NEW YORK CITY! And I can get a job there.
Honestly, I need to live somewhere that is exciting and interesting and dynamic in a way that I like and crave. Austin's okay but it's not me and I really can't figure out why I'm here. I think that's the best indicator that it's time for me to leave.
No comments:
Post a Comment