Jan 28, 2007

DIY & Pain

I am suffering "DIY back," you know the aching, throbbing back you get from putting together all the crap you just had to have from Ikea. My roommate bought a desk and bookcase and we spent this morning putting them together, now my back hurts. And the whole time we're doing this I'm thinking about how much harder it would have been without my drill and all its attendant drill-bits. Seriously, with that little hex wrench it would have taken all day to tighten all the damn screws and bolts the desk came with. As it was it took about 3.5 hours (minus the stop for food)to put it all together and then move everything around.

I love to DIY but it almost always leads to lower back pain for me. Mostly because I tend to do it in the least organized, most crowded room in the house. I like to plan ahead, ya know. I have a standing goal of owning multiple power tools - circular saw, reciprocating saw, sander, belt sander, table saw - you name it, I want it. I want to build stuff, mostly things that it costs entirely too much to buy (especially when it's made of particleboard).

Anyway, Aleve is my friend and now it's off to grading again. Joy.

No comments: