Jan 21, 2007

Day Trippin'

I live in Austin and there's a lot to do...if you're into the outdoor lifestyle. I'm not. On the weekends when I have free time, I have a routine of sorts; it usually looks like this: sleep late (8 o'clock in the morning!), grab some breakfast, then go shopping or wandering around town looking for something to do. I'm not very creative some days. anyway, there are only three malls in Austin, and I've been to them all more times than I can count. It gets boring.

So yesterday the roommate and I decided it was time for a day trip. After much dithering about, we finally settled on driving to San Antonio to visit La Villita and the King William Historic District. The plan was to do a little window shopping and take some photos in KWHD. Of course this is winter in Texas and it was raining - we ended up at the mall any way. My urge is to say coulda done that at home but it was a different mall than we're used to and it had some interesting stores.

We decided to go to KWHD anyway and drive around to see what was there. This neighborhood has some really magnificent Victorian mansions, most of which are within walking distance of each other. (Check out their website to see some of them.)

I really wish I'd had the opportunity to get some photos of some of the homes. After the driving tour, we ate at a great Mexican restaurant called Posario's; it's located in the King William district and serves some of the absolute best food I've had in a long time. One of the reasons to visit San Antonio is the fantastic, and authentic, Mexican food.

On the way home we stopped in San Marcus at the Prime Outlets - an oasis of outlet mall shopping in San Marcos. You can get just about everything there but watch out for the driving - it gets truly creative.

By the time we were done, we'd been gone over 8 hours and were exhausted. Here's how we know we had a good time on a day trip: we come home and collapse. I love trips like that, especially when it's been raining all day!

No comments: